The Grade 7 class is the biggest class in school!
St. John's Trip Pictures! Students
are invited to bring in their own pictures from the trip to Ms. Abbott,
and they'll be added to the site as quickly as possible. Check
back in a day or two for more pictures!!!
The Grade 7 Home Ec class did a little cooking this week. Click here to see the pictures (courtesy of Mrs. Hill).
Catch Me Once, Catch Me Twice - Students
are currently working on a research project based on this novel.
They have chosen a topic, ranging from World War II to cars or
clothes of the era, and they are working on finding information on
their topic. The links below will help them get started.
Links, links, links. Check them out below.
Underground to Canada
links below will help students understand the issues of slavery and
freedom tha are presented in the novel.
- Underground Railroad
- this National Geographic site takes you on a slave's journey though
life, both as a slave who stays on a plantation and as a slave that
runs away. All students must go through both options, seeing what
decisions slave had to make and what problems they faced. Pay
attention to the pictures - they will show you what life looked like
back in the late 1700s-early 1800s.
- The Underground Railroad Living Museum - this site shows the different routes that slaves took to escape slavery, and gives facts about the struggles of slaves.
- Important People of the Underground Railroad - this site gives historical information about the real people who ran the Underground Railroad.
- Levi Coffin House
- the President of the Underground Railroad, Levi Coffin helped many
slaves to freedom. He's mentioned in the novel, but you can read
more about him here, as well as see his picture. There are tons
of useful links on this website - check some of them out!
- The Words of Levi Coffin - written by Levi Coffin, this is an account of the Underground Railroad.
- Aboard the Underground Railroad - more information about how the Railroad operated.
- Africa Online - this site has tons of information about the Railroad, as well as links to information about code words, runaways, etc.
- Underground Railroad - short, simple information about the Underground Railroad.
- Encyclopedia Britannica - links to more information here.
- About.com: Harriet Tubman - a very important figure in the Underground Railroad.
- Parks Canada: The Underground Railroad - A collection of links about the Underground Railroad.
- Virtual Grocery Store
- a game that helps you practice label-reading skills... very valuable
for good nutrition! If the game doesn't work, you probably need
Macromedia Flash Player updated. Click here, read the page, follow the links, and you can fix the problem.
- Portion Distortion #1 - Try this quiz. It will give you insight into portion sizes!
- Portion Distortion #2 - Another portion size quiz!
- Menu Planner - you can use it to plan your meals for the day, considering food groups and daily calorie intake.
- Nutrition Challenge - brought to you by the Dietitians of Canada, this quiz tests your nutrition savvy.
- Scavenger Hunt - This is really a quiz, but there are hints if you get stuck!
- Scavenger Hunt #2 - same idea, different questions.